Best Practices 1
- Title of the Practice “MEGA JOB FAIR”
- Objectives of the Practice
The main objectives and intended outcomes are to:
- To provide employment opportunities for educated youth of Punjab;
- Collaborate with Punjab government under Ghar Ghar Rozgar Scheme ensuring employment for one member of the family;
- Act as one stop centre between youth aspiring for jobs and a large number of employers;
- The Context
- The problem of unemployment amongst educated youth is one of the major issues facing Punjab. Many scholars have opined that rising unemployment have led to increase in instances of drug addiction and immigration to foreign countries.
- Recent data suggests that unemployment situation in Punjab has worsened, reaching the highest rate of joblessness (9.2%) recorded since the third quarter of 2020 (The Times of India dated June 03, 2023). The figures are more worrisome in case of educated youth.
- To bring unemployment figures in check and provide employment opportunities to youth of Punjab, Punjab Government launched Ghar Ghar rozgar Yojana.
- Under the Yojana, the District Administration of Patiala collaborated with Government Mohindra College, Patiala to organize a mega job fair.
- The Practice
- A mega job far was held on September 24-25, 2020 at Government Mohindra College, Patiala.
- The job fair was planned in an organized manner and systematically as committees comprising faculty members of the college were constituted well I advance. This practice was unique in a sense, as it was held in the period of Covid – 19.
- The college in collaboration with the district administration disseminated the information about the job fairs through print, electronic and social media.
- Evidence of Success
- More than 4000 students belonging to different places of Punjab attended the job fairs and appeared for the job interviews.
- A large number of students came to attend the event during the covid outbreak speaks highly of efforts put by the college and district administration to reach out to aspiring youth.
- The event was a grand success as around 2900 students got job offer letters from various companies during this job fair.
- Print, electronic and social media platform widely covered the success of the event and praised the college and district administration for giving hope to young mind in the turbulent times.
- Problems Encountered and Resources Required
- The main problem faced by the college was to maintain social distancing, as it was held during Covid.
- The college had to walk an extra mile for ensuring proper sanitation of the premises.
- The public transportation to reach the venue was restricted due to covid norms; otherwise number could have been more impressive. .
- There were chances of job seekers missing the right employers due to rush of candidates for some undertakings.
- The specified time for the interview by the companies was very limited due to Covid – 19 protocols.
Besides this the college has been at the forefront in introduce skill development programmes, career counselling events and hold placement drives for its students.